Howard S. Wright house gets new coat
May 2010- The most recent changes have become more visible to passers-by than the interior renovation overhaul that has taken place this year. Primer paint has now replaced exposed siding and decorative rafter tails. Inspiration for the green and brown paint scheme comes from scraping paint from original siding pieces (above right) and clues from original photos.
"The real trick is going to be taping up those curved muntins and sashes for their final coat" noted Bill Belshaw on the exterior progress. Several layers of paint had to be hand-stripped and sanded. Shingle siding is now patched and repaired; and the belly-band is incorporated to the back of the house to include the previous addition to match to original design.
The front porch is totally rebuilt and decking's waterproof coating will last another 50 years. The original square columns with scroll brackets needed minor touch-up before receiving fresh new paint. The keyhole window under the dormer will recieve complimentary colors also.
Drive by and see the progress at 2112 Rucker Avenue. Look for the house to be open to learn about what it takes to renovate historic homes during the September 11, 2010 Historic Home Tour & Renovation Station. (Click on top photo of house to see larger view!)
The Howard S. Wright house (2112 RUCKER AVE) has coughed up its 14th and last dumpster load of debris by the end of summer 2007. The recyclables have been recycled and the many items left by the recent owner and several tenants have been donated or sold at the Estate Sale raising over $5,000 for Historic Everett. Also, all of the original doors, windows, moldings and woodwork from the interior has been carefully removed and stored for use in the restoration of the house. What remained inside is the skeleton of the original home built and lived in by Wright and his family from 1905 to the early 1920's.
The house was remodeled in the late 20's by the Hesseltine family. They added a new fireplace and opened the wall between the front room and the parlor creating a very large living room. Then in 1959, it was converted to an eight-unit apartment with 8 bathrooms, 8 kitchens and lots of walls and doors that pretty much obscured the original layout of the rooms.
With all the lath and plaster and extra walls gone it is much easier to imagine how elegant the interior was a century ago. Project manager Bill Belshaw created measured drawings of the structure and floor plan as it was built. Construction plans for five leased spaces were to be finalized and on display when the house is open for the annual home tour in September 2007.
The Hilzinger house next door is looking for a buyer who will agree to preserve the overall appearance of the remarkable American Foursquare residence while following the guidelines of the Historic Overlay Zone, the recommendations of the Everett Historical Commission and the requirements set forth by the Board of Historic Everett.
A surprising number of people have shown interest. Historic Everett is committed saving the house so we're happy to work with all interested parties. Please contact Valerie Steel at 425-308-6052 if you would like further information.
E V E N T S
Members: please watch for
email notice of our next work party at the Wright House.