Local, State and National Lists
National Register of Historic Places: Properties in Everett WA
The National Register is the federal government's official list of properties worthy of preservation. There are a number of properties in the City of Everett on the National Register. To qualify for the National Register, a property must be significant in American history, architecture, archaeology or culture and possess integrity of location, design, seeting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association.
WA State Register of Historic Places: Properties in Everett WA
The Washington State Register is the state's list of properties which are historically significant to the state.
Everett Register of Historic Places: Properties in Everett WA
The Everett Register was established as part of the Historic Resource Ordinance adopted by City Council in 1987. This ordinance also created the Historical Commission and gave them the responsibility of initiating and maintaining the Everett Register. Placement on the Everett Register encourages preservation of our heritage and honors those who have cared for Everett's old buildings. Any person may nominate a building, structure, site, object or district for placement on the Everett Register. However, placement on the register requires owner approval.
Roland Hartley Mansion
The house features a hipped-roof with gable-roof dormers and a full width porch with roof supported by squat Ionic columns, and topped with a railing and turned balusters. The carriage house/garage includes a rotating turntable floor so cars driven in may be spun around to exit.
The front of the building is dominated by the colossal two-story portico with flat roof, supported by paired Corinthian columns and crowned with a balustrade to match the course below.
This imposing home was built for Roland Hartley and Nina Clough Hartley in 1910, when Hartley had just begun his political career as Mayor of Everett. The Hartley family lived in the home until Governor Hartley's death in 1952.
The home was vacant for several years, and a plan to tear it down to create a parking lot for the building next door was briefly considered.
In the 1950's, the 10,000 square foot building was converted to a nursing home, and served as the Soundview Nursing Home, and later the DeGault Nursing Home, until 1983 when Dr. Sanford Wright purchased the property.
The mansion was altered significantly during its years as a nursing home. Wood floors were covered with linoleum, leaded glass windows were removed, the living room fireplace was walled over and the back staircase was removed. Much of the front porch was taken up by an addition, and the exterior of the building was painted red and equipped with fire escapes and handicap ramps.
Dr. Wright purchased the property for use as his medical offices, but with the idea of returning the stately building to its former grandeur. Dr. Wright used old photographs and the memories of Sue Hartley Brown, Governor Hartley's granddaughter, to recreate the original floor plan, and to restore architectural features, hardware and fixtures with authentic replacements.
Newspaper articles describing the extensive restoration project are displayed in the front room of the mansion, along with a collection of sepia-tone photographs provided by the Hartley family. By the end of 1984, the restoration had been completed and Everett Neurological Center opened its doors.
Dr. Wright received the William F. Brown Award for restoration of this historic house, and in 1986, the Hartley Mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hartley: the Man
and his Family
On August 22, 1888, Hartley married Nina Clough, daughter of lumberman and Minnesota State Senator David Marston Clough. When Clough was elected Governor of Minnesota in 1897, he appointed his son-in-law as his personal secretary. Following the expiration of his term as Governor, Clough came west to Washington State, and Hartley followed in 1902.
The pair quickly established themselves as major figures in the lumber industry of the Pacific Northwest, notably as the proprietors of the Everett Logging Company, the Clark-Nickerson Mill and the Clough-Hartley Mill, all major industrial landmarks on the Everett Waterfront. The Clough-Hartley Mill dominated the waterfront on bayside and was soon the greatest producer of red cedar shingles in the world.
Hartley's political career began with the 1909 mayoral race. He was elected by a margin of 321 votes, and served through 1911, a turbulent period that saw the passage of a local option banning liquor sales. Following his term as mayor, Hartley represented the 48th legislative district in the State House of Representatives in 1915-16.
He made unsuccessful bids for the gubernatorial nomination in 1916 and 1920, and finally won the nomination and the election in 1924. Hartley was the first governor of Washington to serve two full four-year terms. In 1932, Hartley attempted to win an unprecedented third term, but failed to secure his party's nomination. An attempt to regain power in 1936 won him the nomination, but he was defeated in the election by the Democratic incumbent, Clarence D. Martin.
After his bid for office in 1936, Hartley retired from public life to his home on Rucker Avenue. Shortly after his 88th birthday he was moved to a Seattle hospital where he died a few weeks later, on September 21st, 1952.
Compiled and edited by Patti Lohse and Dave Ramstad; with content and historic photos from David Dilgard and the NW Room at the Everett Library.